Thursday, March 18, 2010

On to Dive Master?

Day something? on Utila. I actually think we have been here for 9 days now and I have completed my Advanced Open Water Certification. All that really means is that I can dive more places, deep dives, a little bit more advanced dives and I have 7 more dives under my belt. As I posted before, Utila is a place to get stuck, I have been here for 9 days and already I know I could stay here another 2 months and still not seen all the dive spots, all the creatures and all the conditions. I have yet to see a whale shark so I am thinking of prolonging my stay until I do! That being said I have seen some pretty spectacular things; green moray eels the thickness of my leg (well maybe bigger) and 2m long slipping along a reef wall or poking out of a crack opening and closing his mouth menacingly, conches pulling themselves across a sandy bottom leaving tracks, Hermit crabs the size of my head skittering along the bottom, Large Goliath Groupers waiting at the Captain´s wheel house appearing to ´sip´from a vase sponge, Vibrant corals in all colors, christmas tree worms fanned out, cowfish, squirrel fish, tiny shrimp and glow in the dark plankton at night. Diving to a depth of 40m/132ft is something else, I thought the pressure would crush me but it didn´t, the water world seemed so quiet under 5 atmospheres of pressure, and although I didn´t feel any different I was sucking up oxygen so fast, so up to 30m and there is still lots to see, but so peacefull, up to 18m for a while, to cruise this depth for a while and scan walls of coral for spectacular fish and elusive critters. It was great to see a wreck at the bottom of the sea, this one, the Haliburton had been sunk on purpose to have a good wreck dive on Utila so it has a different history than other wrecks but still pretty cool to swim around the entire ship and see how quickly corals and sea life had taken it over. Learning to SCUBA and doing it correctly is a blast, you can learn to float effortlessly in the water and using just a flick of your flipper float to the next object you want to peer at.
Next stop, Dive Master. A few of the dive instructors had told me that I should stick around for a while and get my Dive Master certification. While it is something I would love to do, I just dont have time on this trip. But something that I found facinating is the fact that people who have gotten stuck here have found a way to get it done, get a dive job, or get trained and then continue with their travels, something that I could do pretty easily I think, diving is just that much fun.
Well thats all for now, It has been raining here the past few days and it seems to be sunny outside so I think I will go and have a look. Hope you are all well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment